September 12, 2003

Sadness: The Man In Black

Johnny Cash died today at age 71.

Last November, I was in Houston, Texas, which I consider a terrible place, though I'm sure some disagree. I was there for work, and it rained every single friggin' day, and it was cold and miserable. I had been doing non-partisan work to make sure underprivileged folks in the city could vote in the election there, and I despite the overall success of the effort, I was depressed, because of the political and physical landscape, and because I was driving an SUV on a perpetually under-construction highway through a waterlogged sprawl-nightmare.

All the music on the radio in Houston sucked.

Then, I came across this NPR two-part interview with Cash by Bob Edwards. As I cruised through Houston's barrio to our temporary office, I listened to the man in black talk about loss and redemption, and I felt a little better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home